Edward-Elmhurst Health Venture Capital hosts a cohort-based, paid, venture capital fellowship opportunity for U.S.-based current graduate students pursuing an MBA, MD, PhD, or STEM Master’s Degree. This is a part-time (~10-15 hours/week) opportunity designed to expose fellows to all aspects of sourcing/evaluating/executing an early-stage healthcare venture deal. There is also additional structured programming in order to make sure that fellows extract as much value from their experience with our fund, including topic-specific round table discussions with outside speakers and 1-1 career mentoring sessions.
The Venture Capital Fellow will assist Edward Elmhurst Health Venture Capital in identifying and evaluating potential investment and partnership opportunities in healthcare technology. Edward Elmhurst Health Venture Capital is a wholly owned for-profit subsidiary of Edward-Elmhurst Health, which was created to encourage investment in innovative solutions to advance EEH’s vision of transforming healthcare while diversifying its revenue base. As a member of lean deal teams, the Venture Capital Fellow will have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of the investment process including evaluating, executing, closing, and monitoring investment opportunities. They will be involved in interaction with internal and external constituents including portfolio companies, partner investors, and the Edward Elmhurst Health Venture Capital Board (investment committee). This position reports to the Managing Director of Edward Elmhurst Health Venture Capital
In addition to deal execution work, the venture fellows will individually work on a final presentation on a topic of their choice. The topic should be relevant to venture capital and/or healthcare and the project will be worked on throughout the duration of the fellowship. At the end of the fellowship, fellows will present for 15 minutes to the fund’s Managing Director and select EEH executives.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Pursuing graduate level degree (e.g., MBA, MD, PhD) at an accredited, U.S.-based institution
- 2+ years work experience in one or a combination of: venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or strategy consulting
- Familiarity with evaluating and executing transactions related to venture capital
- Passion for, knowledge of, and experience with healthcare preferred. Understanding of other sectors of the healthcare industry (technology (e.g., medical devices, biopharma) a plus
- Strong integrity, work ethic, and a team player
- Strong skills in financial modeling (e.g., analyze financial statements, create financial models, private capital valuation methodologies)
- Ability to work independently or in teams and thrive in a fast paced, loosely-structured, entrepreneurial environment
- Work Environment:
- The functional demands of the job are sedentary, requiring very light energy level.
This is designed to be someone’s first exposure/entry-point into VC and preference will be given to those candidates that have not yet completed any other venture fellowship/internship.
Note from a previous fellow:
“The past year was invaluable throughout my full time recruiting process – I can’t tell you how many times interviewers were impressed with the thoroughness of the internship – sometimes I felt they didn’t believe me until I easily provided multiple real stories attached to each part of the deal process! And the thesis assignment always gave me something substantial to talk about with every fund. I gained skills that I use daily in my current full time role – can’t thank you enough for taking a chance and bringing me on as part of the team.”
Submit your application
Edward-Elmhurst Health VC
Naperville, IL | email@example.com